Sponsored By

Six Nations Landfill Now ‘Pretty Stable’ Following Cleanup Effort

May 4, 2015

1 Min Read
Six Nations Landfill Now ‘Pretty Stable’ Following Cleanup Effort

The Hamilton Spectator

Removal of hazardous waste is continuing at the Six Nations landfill, which has been closed since Wednesday's fire at the site.

The cleanup, which began on the weekend, increased the risk of reigniting the blaze, which caused "multiple mid-size explosions," heavy smoke and flaming chemical run-off. But so far it has gone well, said Chelsey Johnson, communications officer for the Six Nations Elected Council.

"The separation and cleanup of hazardous materials started and it (the landfill) is now pretty stable," said Johnson.

The cleanup crew, about seven or eight workers from Tervita, a company that specializes in environmental waste, is returning Monday, she added.

Continue reading at the Hamilton Spectator

Stay in the Know - Subscribe to Our Newsletters
Join a network of more than 90,000 waste and recycling industry professionals. Get the latest news and insights straight to your inbox. Free.

You May Also Like