Stay in the Know - Subscribe to Our Newsletters
Join a network of more than 90,000 waste and recycling industry professionals. Get the latest news and insights straight to your inbox. Free.
June 15, 2015
Toronto is one of a handful of major North American cities currently considering privatization of its waste and recycling operations. But that process has hit a snag and a decision may be pushed back to the fall.
City officials told the Toronto Sun this week that the report — originally due to come back to the public works committee in April — now won’t be delivered until September.
“Given the many competing priorities that we currently have, it was determined that it would be best to bring forward the report in the fall,” city spokesman Pat Barrett told the Sun.
Right now, half of the city’s waste collection is contracted out. Mayor John Tory swept into office on a promise to contract out garbage pick-up across the rest of the city — the area east of Yonge St. is currently collected by unionized City of Toronto employees.
The public works committee approved in January an expanded study of contracting out trash collection in the east end of the city. At the time, the committee asked for that report to come back in April.
The city's proposed budget also calls for a steep jump in garbage rates.
Executive Director, Content & User Engagement, Waste360
David Bodamer is Executive Director of Content & User Engagement for Waste360 and NREI. Bodamer joined Waste360 in January 2014. He has been with NREI since September 2011 and has been covering the commercial real estate sector since 1999 for Retail Traffic, Commercial Property News and Shopping Centers Today. He also previously worked for Civil Engineering magazine. His writings on real estate have also appeared in REP. and the Wall Street Journal’s online real estate news site. He has won multiple awards from the National Association of Real Estate Editors and is a past finalist for a Jesse H. Neal Award.
You May Also Like