ACQUISITIONS * Volvo, Greensboro, N.C., has acquired almost 70 million shares of Swedish trucking company Scania, which corresponds to 34.7 percent of the share capital. The acquisition creates the largest European heavy truck and bus company, the second largest worldwide.
* Ravens Inc., Akron, Ohio, has acquired the dump and transfer trailer assets of Galbreath Inc., Troy, Ohio.
AGGREMENTS * U.S. Bancorp, Minneapolis, has agreed to acquire Voyager Fleet Systems Inc., Houston.
* Waste Connections Inc., Roseville, Calif., has acquired 13 businesses, including a central Kansas new market entry, two landfills, several tuck-in acquisitions, two franchise collection operations in California and three collections operations in Nebraska.
* Vortec Corp., Collegeville, Pa., and Eco Technology (EcoTech), Sacramento, Calif., have formed a strategic alliance to jointly develop waste recycling projects in the United States, combining Vortec's vitrification and recycling experience with EcoTech's waste drying capabilities.
ANNOUNCEMENTS * Safety-Kleen Corp., Elgin, Ill., has formed a marketing alliance with Wixel, a Englewood, Colo.-based provider of waste management software.
* DKA L.L.C., Hendersonville, N.C., and BOA Machinefabriek B.V., Enschede, Holland, have formed BOA Systems USA L.L.C., Hendersonville.
* Envirobiz, Edina, Minn., has announced an agreement with TechKNOWLEDGEy Strategic Group (TSG), Boulder, Colo., for delivery of TSG's market newsletter over the Internet.
* Self Help Enterprises, Sterling, Ill., and City Carton Co., Iowa City, Iowa, announce the establishment of a cardboard recycling drop-off program at Self Help Enterprises.
* The Southeastern Public Service Authority, Chesapeake, Va., has announced a 45.6 percent recycling rate for southeastern Virginia for 1998.
* Ashe Transportation Services Inc., Shannon, Ill., has announced that unrelated individuals have exchanged $400,000 of subordinated debt bearing 14 percent interest for 88,894 shares of the company's common stock.
* Waste Connections Inc., Roseville, Calif., announces its revenue for the second quarter of 1999 was $40.2 million, an 83 percent increase over revenue of $22 million for the second quarter of 1998.
AWARDS * Detroit Diesel Corp., Detroit, announces its second quarter income of $12.8 million, an increase of 24 percent over the $10.4 million in the second quarter of 1998.
* The SemiCycle Foundation, Austin, and Microboard Processing Inc., Seymour, Conn., announce their donation of $4,000 to The Ronald McDonald House, New Haven, Conn.
* Trucks and Parts of Tampa, Tampa, Fla., has been named one of the top 200 business-to-business Websites in the United States by Advertising Age magazine's NetMarketing Online.
* The National Private Truck Council (NPTC), Alexandria, Va., and Markinetics Inc., Marietta, Ohio, awarded Private Reserve Awards to Reflexite North America, New Britain, Conn.; Great Dane Trailers, Savannah, Ga.; and Meritor Automotive Inc., Troy, Mich.
* Camp Dresser and McKee Inc., Cambridge, Mass., has been ranked one of the top 50 engineering firms for women in the engineering field, according to Woman Engineer magazine.
* Maryland Recyclers Coalition, Annapolis, Md., awarded 1999 Recycling Awards to: The Calvert Group, Baltimore; Naval Air Station Patuxent River Recycling Program, Annapolis, Md.; Citizens Concerned for a Cleaner County, Prince George's County, Md.; ARAMARK Campus Services at Towson University, Towson, Md.; Baltimore Gas and Electric, Baltimore; Penzoil, Baltimore.
CERTIFICATIONS * The Merchant Resource Network, a division of Simon Property Group Inc., Indianapolis, awarded Marathon Equipment Co., Vernon, Ala., its Simon Seal of Superiority.
* Environmental Resources Management, Exton, Pa., has achieved ISO 9001 certification in its San Juan, Puerto Rico office.
CONTRACTS * The National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence, Farmington Hills, Mich., has certified 470 industry technicians, who completed the first-ever equipment certification test, as Truck Equipment Installation and Repair Specialists.
* The Minnesota subsidiary of GreenMan Technologies Inc., Lynnfield, Mass., has been awarded a contract from the Iowa Department of Resources, Northwood, Iowa, to collect and process approximately 3 million scrap tire piles in Fort Dodge, Iowa.
* Gershman, Brickner and Bratton Inc. (GBB), Fairfax, Va.-based solid waste management consultants, have been awarded a contract by the city of West Bend, Wis., to develop a solid waste and recyclables collection Request for Proposals (RFP) for the city.
CORRECTIONS * Rubbermaid Commercial Products L.L.C., Winchester, Va., and Johnson Professional Co. Ltd., Japan, have formed a strategic alliance for the sales and distribution of sanitary maintenance and cleaning products into Japan.
* In Waste Age's July Buyers' Guide, the e-mail address for Electronic Funds & Data Corp., Southhampton, N.Y. [page 137] should be rnikolich@efd. com
* Dempster Equipment Co., Toccoa, Ga., was incorrectly listed by its former name, Dempster Inc., in July's Buyers' Guide [page 136]. The company manufactures front, rear and side loaders, recycling truck bodies, and roll-off/hooklifts.
GRANT * NTH Consultants Ltd., Farmington Hills, Mich., was left out of the Consulting Engineers section of the July Buyers' Guide [page 100]. Address: 38955 Hills Tech Drive, Framingham Hills, MI 48333. Phone: (248) 553-6300. Fax: (248) 489-1589.
INTERNET * The Recycling Coalition of Utah (RCU), Salt Lake City, will receive two grants from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Washington, D.C., for two recycling-related projects.
MERGER U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Washington, D.C., Landfill Methane Outreach Program: www.epa.gov/lmop
* Alcoa Wheel Products International, Cleveland, Ohio: www.alcoawheels.com
NEW ADDRESS * Environmental Resources Management, Exton, Pa.: www.erm.com
NEW FACULTY * FARID Industrie Spa, in Italy and Valle Teiro Europe Srl in the United Kingdom have merged, with Valle Teiro becoming part of an enlarged FARID Group.
NEW NAME * Quanterra Inc. has moved its headquarters from Englewood, Colo., to 7852 S. Elati St., Ste. 200, Littleton, CO 80120.
* Waste Management Inc., Houston, announces the opening of the Putnam Ash Residue Landfill, Putnam, Conn., owned by WMI subsidiary Wheelabrator Putnam Inc., Putnam.
* Landfill Gas and Environmental Products Inc., Santee, Calif., has changed its name to LFG&E International.