At the IMPULSION MTL event in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, The Lion Electric Co. and Boivin Évolution (BEV) unveiled the world's first Class 8 waste collection truck with a powertrain and automated collection hopper that are 100 percent electric. For the first time, a zero-emission truck with a fully electric waste collection hopper and automated arm will be put into service, the companies noted.
By combining their expertise, Quebec companies Lion and BEV said they have been able to push the limits of innovation and the electrification of heavy-duty vehicles even further. Conceived, designed and manufactured for the electric market, the Lion8 chassis and the BEV all-electric automated side-loading hopper will be used to collect household waste, recycling and organic material.
"We are very proud that The Lion Electric Co. is ready to commercially launch its first all-electric Class 8 waste collection truck,” said Marc Bédard, founder and CEO of The Lion Electric Co., in a statement. “Lion and Boivin Évolution combined their know-how to make this world premiere a reality. It's one more step in our quest to electrify heavy-duty vehicles."
Advantages of the Lion8 with BEV side-loading hopper include:
- Range of up to 400 kilometers or a full day of operation (1,200 homes) on a single charge.
- No noise pollution.
- Optimal visibility and turning radius.
- Zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (43 percent of GHG emissions in Quebec come from transportation and heavy-duty vehicles in particular).
- No hydraulic fluid needed for pumps, pipes and hoses. All hopper and arm movements are powered by the battery that drives electric motors for each function.
- Overnight recharging when the truck is not in operation and when demand for electricity is lower, which reduces energy costs.
- Savings of up to 80 percent on total energy costs.
- 60 percent lower service costs due to the low-maintenance electric powertrain that has fewer components.
- Oil-free operation with few moving parts.
- Longer lasting brakes due to regenerative braking system.
- Custom built in Quebec to withstand North American weather and road conditions.
"Thanks to our partnership with The Lion Electric Co., we can offer an all-electric automated waste collection truck, a first in the waste collection industry,” said Claude Boivin, founder and CEO of Boivin Évolution, in a statement. “We can be very proud of this 100 percent Quebec technological breakthrough that will transform waste collection through better performance and a smaller ecological footprint."