ECUA to Pay $7.5M to Convert Florida Recycling Facility

October 19, 2015

1 Min Read
ECUA to Pay $7.5M to Convert Florida Recycling Facility

Pensacola News Journal

A plan by the Emerald Coast Utilities Authority to build a recycling facility at the Escambia County-owned Perdido Landfill is being fast tracked after the recycling facility ECUA had been using abruptly closed at the start of the month.

ECUA serves about 75,000 customers in Escambia County and 18,000 in Santa Rosa County, all of which are offered recycling pickup along with regular waste services. ECUA had been taking that recycling to an Infinitus Energy facility in Montgomery, Ala., until Infinitus abruptly closed the facility earlier this month after a sharp drop in the market price of recycled materials.

Since then, ECUA has diverted 30 percent of recyclables to a small plant in Baldwin County and is working on finding processing facilities for the remaining 70 percent. Recycling pick up hasn’t been affected, and ECUA wants its customers to continue recycling, but until a permanent solution is found some recyclable material will put in the landfill along with regular garbage.

Continue reading at the Pensacola News Journal

Stay in the Know - Subscribe to Our Newsletters
Join a network of more than 90,000 waste and recycling industry professionals. Get the latest news and insights straight to your inbox. Free.

You May Also Like