A Superior Court judge in New Jersey has ruled that the Keegan Landfill in the Meadowlands “represents a clear and immediate danger” to nearby residents in Kearny and will remain closed.
Northjersey.com reports that Kearny Mayor Alberto Santos, who sued to close the landfill, said the town has been "vindicated" but wants to make sure that everything is done to ensure that the fumes are abated.
The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which owns and operates the landfill, reportedly made $17.7 million last year from tipping fees.
Northjersey.com has more:
The last operating landfill in the Meadowlands — which has spewed noxious fumes over the area for months — will remain closed, after a ruling Monday by a state judge.
Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Jablonski said in a 46-page ruling that the Keegan Landfill "represents a clear and immediate danger" to nearby residents in Kearny.
A spokesman for the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which owns and operates Keegan, could not be immediately reached for comment.