Closed Loop Partners released its 2019 impact report, “Building the Circular Economy,” which highlights the group’s portfolio of investments that further its mission to build a circular economy.
Closed Loop Partners launched in 2014 with a vision to build an economic model focused on a profitable and sustainable future. In the last year, Closed Loop Partners said it has witnessed “unprecedented growth in the circular economy as a number of forces have aligned, from increased media attention on the global waste crisis to budding legislation around the reuse, recovery and recycling of materials to the commercialization of innovative business models.”
At the beginning of the report, Closed Loop Partners CEO Ron Gonen noted that consumers have begun to show their preference for products that are “trustworthy and circular.”
“When consumer preference and regulatory expectations merge, a unique and outsized investment opportunity emerges. In 2019, most major retailers and brands made commitments that by 2025, their products would be either recyclable or compostable and that they will use a specified amount of recycled content in their packaging,” said Gonen in the report’s CEO Foreword. “2020 will be an important year to determine if retailers and brands are able to translate those commitments to contracts for the recycled commodities that will enable them to achieve their commitments.”
According to a snapshot of the report, in 2019, Closed Loop Partners kept 1.3 million tons of materials in circulation, avoided 3 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions and co-invested $270 million to support circular supply chains. The group’s investments contribute to the following United Nations Sustainable Development Goals:
- Clean Water and Sanitation
- Affordable and Clean Energy
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Responsible Consumption and Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
- Life on Land
- Partnerships for the Goals
The report focuses on an in-depth analysis of the group’s investment platforms:
- Closed Loop Leadership Fund: The leadership fund acquires best-in-class, private companies that it can scale, utilizing Closed Loop Partners LP network and operational expertise. Investments span the sectors of recycling infrastructure, packaging, logistics, electronics and food and agriculture.
- Closed Loop Infrastructure Fund: The infrastructure fund invests in recycling infrastructure to return valuable recycled materials to supply chains.
- Closed Loop Beverage Fund: The beverage fund, in partnership with the American Beverage Association, seeks to improve the collection and the recycling of beverage containers. The goal is to enable the beverage industry to operate within a fully circular supply chain.
- Closed Loop Venture Fund: The venture fund deploys early-stage capital into companies developing breakthrough solutions for the circular economy. Its portfolio includes companies developing leading innovations in material science, robotics, agritech, sustainable consumer products and advanced technologies.
- Center for the Circular Economy: The Center for the Circular Economy is an innovation center for research, analysis and collaboration to accelerate the transition to a circular economy in which materials are shared, reused and continuously cycled.
Read the 2019 impact report in its entirety.