The Board of County Commissioners (“BOCC”) of Hillsborough County (County), Florida, plans to issue a Request for Proposals (“RFP”) from qualified vendors to Design, Build and Operate (DBO) a Recyclable Materials Processing Facility (“RMPF”, aka Material Recovery Facility or “MRF”). In preparation, the County announces the release of a conceptual draft RFP (“Draft RFP”) for comment by interested parties during the pre-RFP period. The public comment period will last two weeks from this issuance. Vendors are encouraged to submit written comments or make appointments to discuss the RFP with the County Solid Waste Division. In addition, during the week of February 22, 2021, the County will hold a workshop to receive oral comments and considerations for potential inclusion into the County’s RFP approach. The Final Release of the RFP may, or may not contain, amendments based on the information collected during this public comment period. Comments should not be in the form of questions. A question and answer period will be provided upon release of the final RFP.
Comments are to be submitted or appointments are to be scheduled for no later than Friday February 19, 2021 with:
Travis S. Barnes, MPA, LEED AP
Recycling Coordinator, Solid Waste Management Division
Department of Public Utilities
All interested vendors are encouraged to register with the County on the following website to receive further information on this potential procurement: http://www.hcflgov.net/vendors. Additional important information related to the draft and final RFP will be posted at: https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/businesses/doing-business-with-hillsborough/bid-opportunities-information
In addition, all qualified vendors are encouraged to closely monitor the development of the RFP, and promptly commence their due diligence investigations concerning the conditions in the County, in anticipation that the BOCC will issue the RFP in March 2021 and award the MRF contract in September 2021.
RFP concepts that the County staff currently is evaluating for the BOCC’s consideration and approval are provided below:
• Hillsborough County encompasses a diverse and growing area on the west coast of Florida. The entire County has a population of approximately 1.51 million and is the fourth most populous county in Florida. The population in the unincorporated portion of the County is expected to pass one million in 2021, with the remaining population residing in the cities of Tampa, Temple Terrace, and Plant City. Since 2010, the County population has grown 19% and is currently growing 1.5% to 2% per year.
• Hillsborough County’s Residential Single Stream Recycling Program generates approximately 60,000 tons of recyclables per year, not including the municipalities in the County who have their own programs.
• Design and Construction (complete with a formal commissioning and County approval) of the RMPF is expected be completed by September 2023, with the commencement of operations projected beginning October 1, 2023, provided a suitable vendor is awarded during an approved procurement. The operating contract is planned for an initial twelve (12) year term with the County’s option for a single, and one time only, eight (8) year extension option.
• The County will provide and own the land for the RMPF in central Hillsborough County, and will pay the vendor for the constructed building and appurtenant site work and facilities which are required and permitted, and assume ownership of those assets. The awarded Contractor will own and be fully responsible for installing, operating, and maintaining all process and non-process equipment, and the respective maintenance, over the contract period.
Please also note the following:
• The BOCC has not yet determined the final requirements that may be included in the RFP.
• All interested vendors are solely responsible for monitoring the County’s process and checking for updates during this and future procurement processes.