Director of Solid Waste Management
The City of Durham, a diverse and fast-growing community of 188,000 located in the Triangle Region of North Carolina is accepting applications for Director of Solid Waste Management. This position is responsible for the administration of all core solid waste services including residential collections, waste reduction services, recycling yard waste services, bulk stationary container collection, rubble landfill and transfer station operations. Additional responsibilities include capital improvement planning and implementation, budgeting, purchasing, marketing, contract negotiation, public relations, and leading a staff of 121 employees.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
* Outstanding personnel management and leadership skills with accomplishments in managing a full cost recovery system
* Knowledge of waste reduction, recycling yard waste collection and transfer station management; a strong background in the development of recycling programs; and multi-year solid waste management plan development and implementation
* Ability to lead the City of Durham’s beautification efforts
* Active support for established employee-based initiatives and incentive programs
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Public Administration, Engineering, Environmental Studies, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Experience: Minimum of six (6) years of extensive solid waste management experience and training including the administration, operation, and supervisory management of a Type I or IV landfill
* Class "A" Commercial Drivers License
* SWANA certification must be obtained within 6 months of the date hired
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Please Apply by: September 22, 2003 (Open until filled)
Please send résumés and applications to:
City of Durham
Human Resources Department
101 City Hall Plaza
Durham, NC 27707
(919) 560-4969 fax
The City of Durham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Individuals selected for conditional offers of employment must pass a City of Durham physical examination, including drug and alcohol testing.
An equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required level of knowledge, abilities, and skills will be considered for each position.