Fort Lauderdale Planning To Privatize Collection

Fort Lauderdale, Fla. -- A majority of Fort Lauderdale city commissioners have agreed that the city should entirely privatize collection services with Waste Management Inc. (WM). Although commissioners do not vote on the issue until later in October and the change would not take place before January, potential savings of $890,363 per year persuaded officials last week that privatizing was the right move.

Currently, WM handles 60 percent of Fort Lauderdale’s accounts, while the city hauls trash for the remaining 40 percent. City officials have been comparing costs and quality of service, however, and believe that the city is ready to try the transition to complete private collection, according to The Sun Sentinel.