The National Waste & Recycling Association (NWRA) announced its 2019 Drivers of the Year and Operators of the Year winners. The awards recognize the drivers and operators from member companies who put safety as their top priority.
“Our members and their employees are dedicated to keeping our communities clean and safe on a daily basis. It is important that we recognize the drivers and operators who make safety a priority. I congratulate them on their achievement,” said NWRA President and CEO Darrell Smith in a statement.
The 2019 Drivers of the Year recipients are drivers who operate their trucks in a safe and responsible manner, have outstanding performance records and whose contributions have enhanced the overall safety and image of the solid waste industry.
The 2019 Operators of the Year recipients are employees working in post-collection for a materials recovery facility, landfill or transfer station who safely operate heavy equipment, including bulldozers, front-end loaders and compactors.
The finalists were determined by a computerized scoring system. Independent judges selected the winners based on letters of recommendation and, for drivers, the difficulty of the route. During judging, operators were also judged on difficulty of their equipment to operate.
The awardees will be recognized at the NWRA Awards Breakfast on May 7 during WasteExpo.
2019 Drivers of the Year:
- National Commercial: Michael Juhan, Republic Services, Inc.
- National Residential: Bill White, Waste Connections, Inc.
- National Industrial: Timothy Parker, Waste Management, Inc.
- Regional Commercial: Michael McGarrity, Waste Industries
- Regional Residential: Ted Vrell, Recology
- Regional Industrial: Joe Dahlmeimer, Rumpke Waste & Recycling
- Local: Alvaro Mora, All Waste, Inc.
- Public: Diana Heath, City of San Diego
2019 Operators of the Year:
- MRF/Transfer Station: Edward Owen McMullen, Waste Management, Inc.
- Landfill: Roberto Hernandez, Republic Services, Inc.