AGREEMENTS * Republic Services Inc., Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., has signed an agreement with the City of Houston to dispose of a large portion of the city's municipal solid waste for the next 20 years. The agreement, which Republic projects will generate $295 million in revenue during the 20 years, also calls for the company to construct and operate two transfer stations.
* The California Integrated Waste Management Board, Sacramento, announces that Masterchem Industries Inc., Imperial, Mo., has entered into an agreement with the board to comply with plastic packaging container recycling requirements by the end of 2000. Masterchem, one of seven companies working with the Board, sold plastic packaging in 1996 that did not meet the requirements.
ANNOUNCEMENTS * Volvo Construction Equipment North America Inc., Skyland, N.C., announces an increased yearly production capacity from 2,000 to 3,000 units at its Asheville, N.C., plant.
* CIVC Partners, Chicago, a private equity investment affiliate of Bank of America Corp., has acquired Wastequip Inc., Beachwood, Ohio.
* Comprenew Corp., Belmont, Mich., announces it has opened a facility in Columbus, Ohio, for electronics recycling.
* Komatsu America International Co., Vernon Hills, Ill., announces it is beginning construction on a new parts distribution facility in Las Vegas, set to open in June.
AWARDS * A landfill life-cycle inventory model developed by the Environmental Research and Education Foundation, Washington, D.C., has been recognized as the Outstanding New Idea in Sanitary Landfilling at the International Waste Management Symposium in Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.
* Transmission Technologies Inc., Farmington Hills, Mich., has received the 1999 Component Supplier of the Year award from Idealease Inc., a Columbus, Ohio-based leasing agent for medium- and heavy duty vehicles.
* The Maryland Environmental Service (MES), Annapolis, Md., has received the Gold Recycling Award from the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA), Silver Spring, Md., and the Outstanding Market Development Award from the National Recycling Coalition (NRC), Alexandria, Va.
CALL FOR PAPERS * The National Recycling Coalition (NRC), Alexandria, Va., announces it is seeking candidates to present technical papers discussing success stories and lessons learned during the implementation of Executive Order 13101 on waste prevention, affirmative procurement and recycling. Abstracts are due to the Executive Steering Committee by February 25. Send to: White House Task Force on Waste Prevention and Recycling, 401 M Street SW, Mail Code 1600, Washington, D.C. 20460. Phone: Dana Arnold, (202) 260-1297. Fax: (202) 401-9503. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
CERTIFICATION * ENSR, Acton, Mass., announces it has helped Toyota Motor Manufacturing North America (TMMNA), Erlanger, Ky., to successfully certify in ISO 14001 all seven of Toyota's North American manufacturing facilities.
CONTRACT * Roy F. Weston Inc., West Chester, Penn., has been awarded an indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity Environmental Services Contract by the Naval Sea Systems Command, which will be managed in the company's office in Vallejo, Calif.
FISCAL * Stericycle Inc., Lake Forest, Ill., has reported that for the third quarter ended Sept. 30, 1999, revenues were $25.4 million, up 51.7 percent from $16.7 million in the same quarter in 1998.
* Trex Company Inc., Winchester, Val, has reported that revenues for the third quarter of 1999, which ended September 30, were $20 million, an increase of 65 percent over the $12.1 million in the third quarter of the previous year.
* Waste Industries Inc., Raleigh, N.C., has entered into a $200 million senior revolving credit agreement with a group of lending institutions led by BankBoston North America, Boston.
* Asche Transportation Services Inc., Shannon, Ill., reports that its revenues for the third quarter ended Sept. 30, 1999, were $40.8 million, a 39 percent increase over the $29.5 million in revenues for the same period in 1998.
INTERNET * J.J. Keller and Associates, Neenah, Wis. www.jjkeller.com
* Canal Winchester, Ohio-based Teledyne Specialty Equipment, Princeton Products: www.piggyback.com
MERGERS * Environmental and underground engineering firm Haley and Aldrich, Boston, announces the addition of the Techna Corp., Plymouth, Mass., and Monroe, Mich., to its national network of offices.
* Atlanta-based W.L. Jorden and Co. Inc. has joined HDR Engineering Inc., Omaha, Neb., to form HDR/WLJorden Inc., a new company to be based in Atlanta and Columbia, S.C.
* Case Corp., Racine, Wis., and New Holland, Amsterdam, Holland, have merged. The $6 billion deal consists of $4.6 billion in equity and $1.4 billion in assumed debt.
NEW FACILITIES * Cascade Engineering, Grand Rapids, Mich., and Israeli manufacturer Dolav announce their new joint venture company, CD Products, producer of plastic bins for agricultural and industrial use in North America. CD Products will be headquartered at Cascade's Grand Rapids facility.
* Plastic Recyclers Southeast Inc. has opened an office in Memphis, Tenn., at 1255 Lynnfield Rd., Ste. 281, Memphis, Tenn. 38119.