Republic Services recently announced its next-generation sustainability strategy, which includes long-term goals designed to address global macrotrends related to the company's sustainability risks and opportunities.
"2018 was a milestone year for Republic Services as we marked the achievement of our time-bound sustainability goals. Today, we're setting an even higher bar by establishing 2030 goals that we believe have the potential to significantly benefit the environment and society while continuing to strengthen the foundation of our business," said Republic Services CEO Donald W. Slager in a statement. "The Republic team's commitment to innovation and passion for our Blue Planet will serve as the engines propelling us forward to achieve more than ever before."
Republic’s “Our Blue Planet: 2030 Goals” include the following:
- Safety Amplified: Zero employee fatalities and reduce Occupational Safety and Health Administration Total Recordable Incident Rate to 2.0 or less by 2030.
- Engaged Workforce: Achieve and maintain employee engagement scores at or above 88 percent by 2030.
- Climate Leadership: Reduce absolute Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions 35 percent by 2030 (2017 baseline year).
- Circular Economy: Increase recovery of key materials by 40 percent on a combined basis by 2030 (2017 baseline year).
- Regenerative Landfills: Increase biogas sent to beneficial reuse by 50 percent by 2030 (2017 baseline year).
- Charitable Giving: Positively impact 20 million people by 2030.
The company stated that it undertook a comprehensive approach to develop its new sustainability goals, which included an analysis of global trends, identification of business model dependencies and engagement with key stakeholders. Republic also said it is committing to increased transparency and reporting, starting with its recently launched 2018 Sustainability Accounting Standards Board Report and an expanded 2018 Global Reporting Initiative Report.
"We've aligned our new, more ambitious set of sustainability goals with the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals that are important to our business and where we foresee the greatest opportunity to create value at scale," said Pete Keller, Republic Services vice president of recycling and sustainability, in a statement. "We also took the extra step of setting a science-based climate leadership goal aligned with the Science-Based Targets initiative, which we believe helps ensure we're doing our part to mitigate climate change."
Learn more about Republic's Blue Planet sustainability platform or download the 2018 Sustainability Report here.