The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) announced the winners of the 2017 SWANA Safety Awards, selected by SWANA’s Technical Divisions and the SWANA Safety Committee for their excellence in solid waste safety.
This year, SWANA expanded its Safety Awards program and selected winners based on SWANA’s seven technical divisions, as well as an overall winner. These companies and local governments were recognized for championing safety within the solid waste sector in the United States and Canada and demonstrating commitment to improving workplace safety.
2017 SWANA Safety Award Division Winners
Collection & Transfer Division
- Fairfax County Solid Waste Management Program – Biggest Safety Improvement
- McNeilus Truck & Manufacturing – Best Safety Innovation
Communication, Education & Marketing Division
- Lakeshore Recycling Systems – Biggest Safety Improvement
Landfill Gas & Biogas Division
- DTE Biomass Energy – Best Safety Innovation
Landfill Management Division
- City of Vancouver – Best Safety Innovation
Sustainable Materials Management Division
- Maryland Environmental Services – Biggest Safety Improvement
- Hamm Waste Services – Best Safety Innovation
2017 SWANA Safety Award Overall Winner
- Hamm Waste Services – “5S Implementation at Hamm Material Recovery Facility”
“It’s a tremendous honor to receive the SWANA Overall Safety Award for our safety systems at the Hamm Material Recovery Facility in Lawrence, Kansas,” Charlie Sedlock, director at Hamm Waste Services, said in a statement. “Protecting our employee team members is the most important thing we do each day at Hamm.”
The overall award-winning entry detailed the innovative application of the 5S visual system to reduce employee exposure to hazards while also lowering operating costs. Hamm Waste Services provides safe and responsible waste transport, single-steam processing, and disposal services to communities in Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska.