Need to Know
Trash Deal in New Haven Draws Concern of Residents

Trash Deal in New Haven Draws Concern of Residents

New Haven Village Council members voted 4-2 Oct. 1 to enter into a five-year waste disposal contract with Waste Management of Michigan Inc.

With their former contract with Rizzo Environmental Services set to expire at the end of last month, council began to seek bids near the end of August and accepted a proposal from Waste Management on Sept. 25 with a 4-3 vote. The first trash pick-up by Waste Management was expected to place on Oct. 3, two days after the contract was officially approved.

“There really will be no difference in service,” village President Selena Passeno said. “If we did not have a new company in place, garbage would be lining the streets. Waste Management was more than willing to work with the village in keeping costs low and services the same. Residents will be paying less than they would be with Rizzo for almost three years. It’s a very good deal.”

Some New Haven residents, however, said they do not see the agreement with Waste Management as a “good deal.” A protest took place in front of the village offices on Main Street Sept. 30 with about two dozen citizens holding up signs with slogans such as, “The new trash agreement stinks” and “No 20 percent increase for trash.”

Continue reading at Macomb Daily

TAGS: Residential
Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.