Stamford, Conn.-based Keep America Beautiful has announced the results of its 2009 Great American Cleanup, a three-month campaign that encompassed 30,000 events in 32,000 communities across the nation. The theme of this year’s campaign, which ran from March 1 through May 31, was “Green Starts Here.”
During the campaign:
• 64 million pounds of litter and debris were removed from public lands and rights-of-way.
• 4,750 illegal dumps were remediated.
• More than 243 million PET bottles were collected for recycling.
• Nearly 7 million pounds of electronics were collected for recycling, a 30 percent increase from 2008.
• Approximately 870,000 tires were collected for recycling.
For more cleanup statistics, click here.