There is no shortage of great reasons to attend WasteExpo, but one of the most popular events is Environmental Industry Associations’ (EIA) annual Awards and Inspirational Breakfast. In 2012, more than two dozen men and women in the solid waste industry will be honored for their service to our industry at this special awards ceremony, sponsored EIA and its two sub-associations, the National Solid Wastes Management Association (NSWMA) and the Waste Equipment Technology Association (WASTEC).
“It’s an honor to recognize the achievements of these award recipients,” says EIA and NSWMA President and CEO Bruce J. Parker. “The careers of these committed professionals are filled noteworthy service to their companies and the overall solid waste industry. They have helped our industry better serve its customers, be more safety conscious and be more environmentally innovative.”
At the ceremony, Jim O’Connor of Phoenix-based Republic Services will be honored with a Special Trustee Award from EIA.
Don Williamson, president of West Central Sanitation and chairman of NSWMA stated, “The NSWMA awards recognize individuals who have shown a continuing, high-level of commitment to furthering the goals of the association through chapters, councils, committees or working groups.”
Those being honored by NSWMA in 2012 are:
NSWMA Member of the Year
• Tom Brown, Progressive Waste Solutions (Fort Worth, Texas).
NSWMA Distinguished Service Award
• Ken Binnix, Days Cove Reclamation Co. (Annapolis, Md.).
• Robert Eisenbud, Waste Management Inc. (posthumously, Washington)
• B.J. Harvey, E.L. Harvey & Sons Inc. (Westborough, Mass.)
NSWMA Special Governor’s Awards
• Kenneth Burkett, American Waste Control, Inc. (Tulsa, Okla.).
• Jeff Crate, Draper Aden Associates (Blacksburg, Va.).
• Robert Lee, Eco-Tech Environmental, LLC (Jeffersonville, Ind.).
• Andy Moss, Progressive Waste Solutions (Lyndhurst, N.J.)
• Fred Radandt, Manitowoc Disposal and Recycling (Manitowoc, Wis.)
• George Wayne, Waste Connections Inc. (El Paso, Texas)
Robert J. Mecchi, II, Vice President of Big Truck Rental and chairman of WASTEC said the following about WASTEC award recipients, “With the WASTEC awards we recognize hard-working individuals who have given extraordinary service to the mission and goals of their companies, our association, and the products and equipment produced for the waste industry.”
Janice Bradley, WASTEC’s executive vice president added, “We are fortunate to be part of an industry with such a dynamic and praiseworthy workforce. We salute all of the award recipients.”
Those being honored by WASTEC in 2012 are:
WASTEC Member of the Year
• George Fink, Volvo Construction Equipment (Asheville, N.C.).
WASTEC Employees of the Year
• Production - Mike Goodman, The Curotto Can (Sonoma, Calif.).
• Sales and Marketing - L.T. Beale, Otto Environmental Systems North America, Inc. (Charlotte, N.C.).
• Engineering - James Robbins, Marathon Equipment Co. (Fort Payne, Ala.).
WASTEC Distinguished Service Award
• Sean O’Brian, O’Brian Tarping Systems (Wilson, N.C.).
• Craig Williams, Labrie Environmental Group (Madison, Wis.).
For more information about EIA, NSWMA, WASTEC and its award programs, visit environmentalistseveryday.org/awards.