ANNOUNCEMENTS * Fibermarket.com, Atlanta, has formed a partnership with three major, independent packers and brokers of recovered fiber: DK Trading, Clarks Summit, Pa., International Cellulose, Chicago, Ill., and Manchester Paper Recycling, Richmond, Va. This affords Fibermarket.com's clients the opportunity to procure more volume.
* After recently opening a new logistics and distribution center in Northwest Texas, Safety Vision, Inc., Houston, announces the opening of a West Coast branch office in Newport Beach, Calif.
* The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries Inc., Washington, D.C., has named Recycle Guard, underwritten by Wausau Insurance Companies, Wausau, Wis., as its new sponsored property/casualty insurance program effective Oct. 1, 2000.
* James Randall, CEO of Environmental Processing Systems Inc. (EPS) announced the formation of a new division, Precision Polymer Resources Inc.
* Waste Industries Inc., Raleigh, N.C., invites you to listen in on a replay of their Fourth Quarter Conference Call, conducted March 9, 2000. Call toll-free (888) 203-1112 using the confirmation number 891150.
AWARDS * The California Integrated Waste Management Board, Sacramento, awarded $447,684 in building grants to 10 communities throughout the state: Berkeley, Los Angeles, Morrow Bay, Oakland, Orange County, Sacramento, San Jose, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica and Sonoma County.
Subsequently, the Board honored the recycling and resource efficiency achievements of 10 California businesses with the Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP) of the Year: The Autry Museum of Western Heritage, Los Angeles; Cagwin & Dorward Landscape Contractors, Novato; Investec of Santa Barbara; Kraft Foods Inc., Visalia; Memorial Hospitals Association, Modesto; Pebble Beach Co., Monterey County; Straus Family Creamery, Marin County; Swinerton & Walberg Co., San Francisco; Trips for Kids/ Re-Cyclery, San Rafael; and Unisys Corp., San Diego.
* Marking the third safety award in three months, CDM Engineers & Constructors Inc., Cambridge, Mass., has been recognized for its outstanding health and safety program and record by the Associated Builders and Contractors Inc., Rosslyn, Va. CDM earned the 1999 "gold level" Safety Training and Evaluation Process (STEP) award.
* At its first annual conference, The Tennessee Recycling Coalition recently honored outstanding recycling efforts in five categories with its 1999 Recycler of the Year Awards. Recipients included: Lincoln Elementary School, Jackson, Tenn.; Greg Scott, Putnam County, Tenn.; Putnam County's Waste Prevention Program; Pillsbury Co., Murfreesboro, Tenn.; and Federal Express, Memphis, Tenn.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS * The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA), Silver Spring, Md., is accepting nominations for it's Excellence in Solid Waste Management Awards Program for 2000 in 13 categories, including landfill, transfer station, special and waste management. Contact: Cathleen Haggard at (301) 585-2898, ext. 235 or fax on-demand, 1-877-238-5555 and request document #505.
CONTRACT * Roy F. Weston Inc., West Chester, Pa., was awarded its second consecutive subcontract by Parsons Engineering Science Inc., Fairfax, Va., to provide worldwide environmental compliance and analysis services to the U.S. Airforce Air Combat Command (ACC), Langley Airforce Base, Hampton, Va .
CORRECTIONS * Waste Age regrets that the November 1999 Business Trend, "Bill Aims to Restore Federal/State Rules," [page 18] misidentified the state that Sen. Carl Levin-D, represents. He serves Michigan.
FISCAL * Bob Heine Inc., Gary, Ind., has been awarded a $215,700 Recycling Promotion and Assistance Fund (RPAF) loan from the Indiana Department of Commerce.
GRANTS * The National Association of State Development Agencies (NASDA) awarded a federal grant to Advanced Technology Laboratories, a Signal Hill, Calif.-based firm, to evaluate organic and inorganic substances in Bangkok, Thailand.
* The Yolo County landfill, Sacramento, Calif., has been awarded a $400,000 grant from the California Integrated Waste Management Board, Sacramento, for a second, larger "wet tomb" bioreactor landfill demonstration project.
NEW FACILITIES * Phillips Industries announces a move to its new manufacturing, warehouse, and corporate office facility in Santa Fe Springs, Calif.
* Environmental Risk Ltd., Bloomfield, Conn., an environmental consulting and engineering firm, announces the opening of its fourth office in Shelburne Falls, Mass.
NEW DISTRIBUTOR * American Baler, Bellvue, Ohio, has added dealers Colton Equipment, West Linn, Ore., and RS Equipment, Milwaukee, Wis.