Phoenix-based Republic Services has released its 2015 Sustainability Report, which shows the company’s latest achievements for its Blue Planet sustainability initiative and continued progress toward its four sustainability goals. The four goals include adding an additional 150,000 tons per year or more of recycling capability by 2018, developing at least two landfill gas-to-energy projects per year through 2018, reducing fleet emissions from its direct operational impacts by 3 percent by 2018 and reducing its Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recordable rates by 7 percent year-over-year.
"We are incorporating sustainable practices and programs into every facet of what we do, and this year's report shows continued, strong momentum," said Don Slager, president and chief executive officer of Republic Services, in a press release. "We are also building durability into each element of our sustainability platform, which helps to ensure the viability of our initiatives while enabling our customers to be more resourceful."
Republic’s sustainability platform is comprised of five elements: operations, materials management, communities, safety and people. Here are some takeaways from the report:
- Operations: Republic operates a fleet of nearly 2,500 Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)-powered vehicles, which represents approximately 16 percent of its entire vocational fleet. According the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the benefits of Republic's CNG-powered fleet are equal to planting approximately 10.7 million trees annually.
- Materials Management: Republic is taking a leadership role with customers, municipalities and governments to address the market dynamics affecting the nation's recycling model, while increasing recycling capabilities in several markets across the country. According to the EPA, Republic saves 15 million tons of carbon dioxide equivalents through its recycling operations, which is nearly equal to the company's entire carbon footprint.
- Communities: The Company believes serving its 14 million customers goes beyond handling day-to-day recycling and waste needs. At Republic, service is about being a Good Neighbor to the communities where employees live, work and raise their families. In the last year, Republic donated over $5 million in cash and more than $6 million in community sponsorships, as well as countless volunteer hours to non-profit organizations across the country.
- Safety: Ensuring that employees return home safely at the end of each day is a top priority at Republic. In 2015, Republic continued to achieve a 42 percent better safety record than the industry average, based upon OSHA data.
- People: Republic cannot thrive without great people, which is why the company is focused on attracting individuals across professions who are truly committed to serving customers and protecting the Blue Planet. Republic has earned a score of 80 out of 100 on the Corporate Equality Index and was listed as one of the 30 Most Meaningful Companies to Work For in America by Business Insider.